Thursday, April 18, 2013

We Walk the Plank with Our Eyes Wide Open, And I Asked When Is a Revolution?

Music is powerful, with the ability to change emotions, popularize ideas and messages, and energize. There are tons of songs that have a strong effect on me and on many different levels - some make me want to run and be active while some make me feel quiet and contemplative. I really appreciate hearing songs that provoke me to really think about the environment and our place in it. Here are a few of my favorites:

Eyes Wide Open - Gotye
Spring Wind - Jack Johnson
Down to Earth - Peter Gabriel

There are also plenty of classic songs with similar messages ("Big Yellow Taxi" - Joni Mitchell, "Where Do the Children Play" - Cat Stevens). These songs are both from the 1970s, and aren't the first environmental songs, yet the message hasn't gotten across to people yet.

Here are several more songs that make me think, be it about the environment, consumerism, social issues, peace and war, or activism:

"Sell It To You" - Bronze Radio Return
"Sound of Silence" - Simon and Garfunkel
"The Poisonjester's Mask" - Solas
"I Asked When" - Brett Dennen


No comments:

Post a Comment