Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Night Sky

There are times when I become completely trapped in mind – most often this happens when I start missing some time gone by. This evening I had a strong case of this (compounded by finishing a good book) so took to my normal solution – a walk. I put on my iPod with some favorite slower songs, bundled up, and walked to a nearby bridge/dam. Standing above the rushing water, I looked out across a frozen lake at the moon inching towards the trees. I sang the songs I was listening to, I thought about times past, I continued to feel a little sad. After the cold started to seep in through my layers, I stepped back onto the road and looked up at the stars. I slowly circled in place and could see the full sky. And as I circled, I stopped thinking about anything else, and just felt awed by the stars. By my comparative smallness, by the earth’s comparative smallness. And I felt happy because I was part of this giant system. (written 3/14/13)

No comments:

Post a Comment